Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Homemade goodness

I live in a small Southern town where a lot of people still enjoy the fine art of canning their own foods. My best friend and her grandmother picked wild blackberries this summer and made jam that my kids can't get enough of. We finished up one jar and had to beg for another! I can't think of a better (or healthier) way to dress up an average PB&J.

My aunt used to make plum jelly that makes my mouth water just to think about. Note to self - I need to try to make some next year!

If you're not in the canning business and don't know anyone who is, check with your local farmer's market, flea markets, local grocers, etc. A lot of people make jams/jellies/preserves and sell them. You will definitely appreciate the variety of flavors, freshness/quality of the produce used, and the extra love that goes into homemade products.

3 comments:

  1. I love canning, when my kids were small we NEVER bought jam or jelly from the store. We picked strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and made our own. I have always lived in the south and love the southern rituals of canning. I have made my own salsa, hot chow-chow, etc. I currently have 4 gallons of scuppernogs in my freezer waiting on me to turn them into jelly! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world are scuppernogs?

    I do know what hot chow chow is, though ;-)

    I admit, I now use the freezer jam recipes...much quicker that traditional canning. We get all our berries on family land, so I know where they are coming from. Nothing tastes better in January than strawberry jam that tastes like a fresh strawberry.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Cheryl... I now live in FL and the local grapes are called Scuppernongs (misspelled before - sorry) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuppernong

    ReplyDelete