Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cooking dinner - it's a winner!

Someone needs to stop me from these cheesey post titles...seriously.

Upon request, I'm going to try to post more of my "quickie" dinner ideas. My biggest hesitation is that I rarely use a recipe, but I will give it a try. I know time is an issue for just about every parent out there, especially when trying to keep it healthy.

Last night I made angel hair with chicken and green beans. Now before anyone calls me out on it...yes, I should have used whole wheat pasta. It would have obviously been the healthier choice, but I don't care for whole wheat angel hair. Personal hang up! We eat enough whole grains that I'm ok with sliding in a dreaded "white" once in a while, but I certainly would challenge everyone else to do better than me. :)

Ingredients (to feed 2 adults, 2 children)
-1.5 lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
-lemon juice (to taste)
-onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano (to taste)
-1 can petite diced tomatoes (or fresh, if good ones are available)
-reduced fat feta cheese

Saute the chicken in the lemon juice and seasonings until lightly browned. Add diced tomatoes and simmer. In the meantime, get the water boiling for the pasta. Angel hair takes 3 minutes, so don't cook it until the very last minute. I use the frozen microwavable bags of veggies, which take about 5 minutes. When chicken is done, add a little more lemon juice. I also add lemon juice to the cooked noodles after draining. Top the dish with feta cheese. (Did that make any sense? I'm horrible at trying to write out something I am normally just making up as I go.)

It is easy to make tons of variations to this dish. I've added olives, chick peas, artichokes, etc...depending on what I've got on hand.

All in all, this dinner takes about 20 minutes to prepare, start to finish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment