Friday, January 29, 2010

Let's talk about yogurt

Yogurt makes a great snack, breakfast, etc. It is an excellent source of calcium, and the probiotics are great for the digestive system. Most yogurt targeted to children is horrible - full of sugar, HFCS, artificial colors/flavorings, etc...not much better than giving them candy.

Instead of being lured by these colorful products, I buy plain Dannon yogurt and add goodies to it - a tiny swirl of chocolate syrup, vanilla, fruit, cereal, etc. It has half the sugar of Trix yogurt, and no funky additives.

I try to teach my kids that in most cases, the food that is marketed to them is usually not good for them. Commercials and cartoon characters are just a plot to get your money!

3 comments:

  1. We buy lots of the Dannon regular yogurt and it is great. For years I made our yogurt and actually wore out 2 yogurt makers. I don't know why I stopped and maybe I will start again. Love your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonette! Nancy Worsley gave me her old yogurt maker, and I haven't used it yet. I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been doing this, too, after I finally gave up my search for healthy yogurts! They all either have a ton of sugar or artificial sweetner or red dye whatever. We've been buying the plain Dannon and the girls are okay with it. They have to get used to it not being as sweet. We add a little honey and cinnamon most of the time. I'll have to try a couple of your mixin's!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete