Monday, June 14, 2010

Adventures with summer squash

As I mentioned in my last post, I bought some various squash from the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day, so we decided to grill out Saturday night. The grill makes me so happy - less dishes and kitchen mess! 

I had three kinds of summer squash - yellow crookneck, zucchini, and patty pan. I cut them up along with a Vidalia onion (excellent with squash!) and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I then created a foil packet to cook them in. After about 10 minutes on the grill, they were steamed to perfection.

This was my first experience with patty pan squash, but they were very good and comparable to other summer squash varieties. My kids said they liked it better, so score! Squash are pretty kid friendly because they are naturally sweet. They are also easy for kids to pick from a garden and even help cut and prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment