Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sloppy joes...slop, sloppy joes

My kids absolutely love sloppy joes. But really, who doesn't? As I've blogged about before, you don't have to rely on the canned sauce to enjoy a quick, easy, and healthy sandwich. This is my very rough recipe - I just throw stuff in. I don't use green peppers because we don't really care for them cooked, but here is a good "real" recipe that calls for them and may give you a better idea on exact measurements.

Sloppy Joes
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup diced onion
1 small can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
Chili powder, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. to taste

Brown ground beef with onion and drain any fat. Add in rest of ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on whole wheat/grain buns. I served this meal with the leftover green peas from the night before and beets, which my kids love.

I can't help myself, so I will leave you with this (it is oddly relevant)...

No comments:

Post a Comment