Friday, August 20, 2010

Those sneaky veggies...

Every time I look, there seems to be more and more food products in the grocery store that have vegetables "hidden" in them. It started with juice (it seems every brand has a vegetable/fruit blend available now), but now it is carrying out into many other foods.

For example, I noticed Ronzoni has a new Garden Delight pasta out that contains a "full serving of vegetables in every bowl." I don't see much wrong with adding dried vegetables to the pasta, but in this case it is at the expense of whole wheat/grain. I wish they had added this to their whole wheat pasta instead of white for a more complete product.

I also noticed a pasta sauce with vegetable juice added to it, but I can't remember the brand and I can't find it online. I'll post when I go back to the store and look at it again.

Again, I don't have a problem with slipping veggies in to a product here and there, but please don't be fooled into thinking you or your kids are getting all the benefits of real vegetables this way, the way they are marketed. Prepare vegetables the right way, and your children will grown up knowing their importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment