Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quick, cheap dinner time!

As most of you can relate to, I want to make a quick, healthy, inexpensive homemade dinner for my family each night. After working all day and having to do the normal evening stuff, I don't have the time or energy for an elaborate meal, so I do my best to get dinner on the table in 20-30 minutes.

Tonight I made a black beans and rice dish that was a big hit!
Ingredients:
1 pack chicken tenderloins
1 can black beans, drained
1 small can tomato sauce
1/4-1/2 cup taco sauce
1 steam bag of brown rice (cooked)
chili powder, onion powder, salt, & pepper to taste

After cutting into small pieces, I sauteed the chicken until done in a touch of canola oil, then added the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about 10 minutes to combine flavors.



The whole meal cost about $6 to feed a family of four (chicken - $3, black beans - $1, tomato sauce - $0.50, brown rice - $1). The kids loved it! Oh, and I only used one pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment