Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Invasion of the snack mom!

Spring is almost here, and for our family that means spring sports are gearing up! This will be Grayson's fourth season of playing soccer. He loves the game so much, and we love to see him getting involved in organized sports and getting good exercise. Every week, different parents are assigned to bring snacks for the team. I personally think this is a little silly given that the games are held right after breakfast and only last for an hour, but whatever...I can go along with it.

What to bring? I want the kids to enjoy it but I also want the snack to be reflective of the purpose of playing sports - promoting good health. I'll admit I've cringed at some of the snacks parents have brought in the past, and I really didn't want my kids to eat it but allowed it as to not be rude. Quite the dilemma. I've decided that my best option is to be a good example and bring snacks I think are appropriate and hope others take note. Here are some snack ideas that are inexpensive, easy, healthy, and kids love:

-Fruit - orange slices, apple slices, grapes, melon chunks, strawberries (fruit is hydrating)
-Pretzels
-String cheese
-Yogurt tubes (healthy kind)
-Baby carrots/celery sticks
-Granola/cereal bars (again, healthy variety)
-Water or 100% juice boxes

Got any other thoughts and ideas? I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

  1. Dried fruit and nuts are a big hit at my house. Plus I love the organic snacks by Natures Best and Auntie Annies and Kashi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant Back to Nature- not Nature's Best. They have wonderful honey graham sticks and granola cereals etc. Also some dark chocolate covered raisens/yogurt covered raisens helps curb my kiddo's sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I've been cringing every week at t-ball as the parents pull out all those prepackaged snack packs.

    ReplyDelete