Monday, March 15, 2010

Today's lunch: pasta salad

Grayson decided he wanted pasta salad for his lunch today. The good thing about that is I can make up a big batch on Sunday and dish it out all week. To keep it from getting boring, I can add different protein items every day to change it up - tuna, beans, chicken, etc.

There are so many ways you can make pasta salad using different pastas, veggies, cheeses, meats, beans, etc. Here is the recipe for what I made this week:

-1 box whole wheat pasta shells
-1/2 of a large cucumber, sliced
-1 bag of sliced carrots (they were on sale and I was feeling lazy)
-1/2 bag of reduced fat cheese cubes
-Dressing - reduced fat mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, onion powder, salt, & pepper (all to taste, I don't measure)

If the salad gets dried out, I add a few splashes of vinegar before serving. Doesn't this seem like a simple and inexpensive meal the school system could provide?

3 comments:

  1. I love to make homemade pasta salad! I usually use organic Hidden Valley Ranch, though. Certainly not low in fat... but very high in delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. plain yogurt is a FANTASTIC substitute for mayo. be careful w "light" and reduced fat, they sometimes have more sugars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The light I use has zero grams of sugar and no funky stuff, so I feel pretty good about it. We do use plain yogurt sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete