Thursday, March 11, 2010

Quick lunch idea!

Saturday at lunch time is the only time I would consider myself a short-order cook for my kids. I am very much a "this is what I've prepared - eat it or be hungry" type of mom, but on Saturdays we all sort of fend for ourselves and eat what is around. One of the kids' favorite things for me to make for Saturday lunch is pizza, and I can make it healthy and fast!



-Crust - you can use a variety of things - a whole wheat pita, English muffin, or tortilla work great!
-Sauce  - I use Prego Marinara - simple ingredients, nothing funky (it seems most jarred sauces have HFCS). Sometimes I'll use BBQ sauce instead.
-Toppings - the possibilities are endless! I try to stay away from the processed meats like pepperoni and use healthy ingredients like olives, leftover chicken, low-fat cheese,  pineapple (the kids' favorite), leftover veggies, etc.

Bake on broil until everything is cooked the way you like it. The best part, the kids can easily help with this one!


(I'll post a recipe for a healthy real pizza some other time!)

2 comments:

  1. I make a raw version of this.
    Lowfat cream cheese on pita bread with brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, onions and craisins on top. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that sounds great! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete